Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Richfield Update

So far, Vivian has joined us in bed every night since our move. This helps her deal with the stress of such a big transition by giving her extra snuggle time with mom. And this (very early) morning, it has helped me to do some online window shopping for home decor, answer some Emails, and update the blog, since occasionally I can't go back to sleep after her cute little warm body crawls over me and nudges me ever closer to the floor.
The girls and I are getting a slow but steady dose of acclamation to our new life here. Things are in drawers and closets and are even organized, which makes me feel at home. The girls can visit the house to our left for Passion and Paris, (those are the little girls' names--different, yes, but their parents are surprisingly normal) straight across for Kate, Brynn, and Adri, to the right for (I forgot her name--she's Elora's age), farther right for a family with FIVE girls, and down the street for Emily. And that's only our street! There are more little girls waiting to be played with close by! Elora met one today at the Parks & Rec. twice-a-week free craft time in the park whose name is Ellie Smith! They got along great, calling each other "K" and "M", their middle initials.
The craft day has become a regular part of our summer, along with daily visits to neighborhood friends. We also enjoy the free school lunch in the park occasionally. As it was explained to me, Richfield has lots of free- and reduced- lunch school kids and an extra source of money from somewhere, so the lunch ladies take their cafeteria line to the park for summer lunch for anyone from 0-18 years. It's fun to go and see which friends showed up, and it's fun for me to not have to choose, make, serve, and clean up lunch at home.
We've only been to the pool once, but we're going again today. I love this pool! Admission is $1 for kids and you can rent a huge array of fun floaty things for .50 each! The shallow section is huge with its own little slide, and the deeper part has a bigger one. And there's a diving board, too, which Elora enjoys. One of my favorite parts about it is that all the teenage employees are kind, attentive, and respectful to both the kids and their dorky parents. It's kind of a Richfield trend I've noticed that makes me so glad we gave up living in a bigger town.
I've been feeling needy for more friend interactions to reach the point sooner where I can show up to someone's house with greasy hair, complain about my chubby tummy, and borrow a diaper. Today I was given hope by being invited to my neighbor's weight room three times a week to work out with the ladies and let the kids play in the basement. It's the perfect opportunity for girl talk and toning on a regular basis!
Church here is wonderful. The people are sincerely interested in every single person who walks through the door, and the speakers, teachers, and primary leaders all seem to take their callings seriously and are well prepared. To sum it up simply, both in the ward and neighborhood, the people are genuinely kind, good, and believing.
Daniel is doing all kinds of exciting work in the ER and the nurses are learning that he's unusually bold when it comes to procedures. There are a few things he can do on the spot in the ER that they normally have another doc come and do because most ER docs don't have the extra training Daniel has. He will start his clinic work in the middle of August, and there are patients lined up to see him (unfortunately not because his fame has spread all the way from Arkansas, but because all the family practice doctors here are booked for weeks). Daniel's having to adjust to running into patients around town more often than he did in Jonesboro and to mixing medicine with religion since it's Utah. He's working so many weekends that people at church don't know him yet, so those friendships will take a while to start.
We've all been enjoying the mild weather here--to us it seems like paradise with the fresh western air, mountain views and cooler temps, even as others complain that it's sooooo hot. We're excited for the cool and crisp of a western fall, too.
About the house--it's big and beautiful inside and out, and we love it! I was planning to hire an interior decorator to help me out so I could learn from an expert in one of my fondest areas of interest, but I'm so overflowing with my own ideas that I just want to do it myself yet again. And there's so much potential with the landscaping, too. It's a do-it-yourselfer's perfect blank canvas.
In other news, Levi turned one! He's taking a few steps now and then, but he has turned into such a goofy, giggly kid that he can hardly ever balance because he's usually laughing and bouncing. He loves to be teased and to play any kind of game with anyone. Naomi discovered that if you plug his nose he'll respond by snorting. Every time. He's a fun, happy child, and at times the only kid in the house I'm not mad at (it's embarrassing to admit, but I know other moms get me). He can cheer me up out of the darkest of moods--I'm just plain lovey-dovey about him. And so is everyone else, except for when he bites us, which he loves to do.
So far, so good for us in Richfield! We miss lots of Jonesboro people, but we enjoy it here very much.

7 comments:

Terrell Times said...

We miss you too! I am so glad to hear that you like where you are at! Maybe we will see you soon?

KIC said...

Let us know if you ever head up this way. We'd love to see you!

Emily Adams Voisin said...

Wow, I had forgotten about your sweet pleasantness. You are such an optimist Tara. I love reading your synopsis of your new home and all the exciting possibilities you see around you. You inspire me! Thanks for your happy outlook!!

But what about you? I want to hear more! Are you still practicing your music?

And now we needs pics of your house, your big boy walking and everthing else! Thanks for all the posts. I can't wait to check back and read more.

LoveEmily
www.kevnemvoisin.blogspot.com

Emily Adams Voisin said...

:)

Melissa Mobley said...

I'm so glad things are going so well there. I jealous of the weather for sure!! We miss you all!

Anonymous said...

Hello Sis. Smith.... Well I just saw your blog thing on my mom's blog and I just wanted to tell you HI!!!! And I miss you and your family sooo much!!!!!I hope we get to see you soon!!!!! Anfd I wanted to say thanks for trainin gmy voice for the talent show [even though it was so long ago and I didn't get to go to the talen tshow] bvut I don't think I ever got around to tell you thanks!!!! Tell everyone I said HI!!! And we miss you!!!!! Bye!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

HI!!!! Sis. Smith!!!!!! I love your blog!!!! Well this is Mariana and I was lookin gon my mom's blog and I found your name and I just wanted to check it out!!!!! Well I miss you sooo much!!!! I wish you could still be hear to be my voice teacher so I will have someon eI know1!!!! Well I guess I'd better go!!!!! Well bye!!!